Motorola’s latest mid-range flagship device was recently unveiled in a live google+ event which was held by Motorola. This device is known to be a lesser version of Moto X which makes it a better option for Budget conscious people. Currently moto g is available in the U.S under $220 (that includes 8gb and 16gb).
The device sports a 4.5 inch 720p hd display along with corning gorilla glass 3 with a ppi density of 326. It has a rear 5 megapixel camera, also a 1.3 megapixel front camera. Under the hood the moto g hides an 1.2 ghz snapdragon 400 processor along with 1gb ram and a 2,070mAh battery.
Moto G is currently running on 4.3 Android Jellybean and will get an update in early 2014 to run the newly announced next android version : 4.4 KitKat. considering the price this device has amazing specs (after-all its a mid range device).
Rooting is also an essential part if you run root apps or flash custom roms. Rooting the Motorola Moto G is very easy, It hardly takes 5 minutes. Be warned that ROOTING VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY! Also we are not responsible for any damage caused to your device. (Though no damage will be caused, this is a warning)
Note : After rooting, Your device will no longer get official Updates (OTA) from Motorola though you can unroot or flash the updates.
It is being said that Rooting the phone won’t wipe the data but unlocking the bootloader will wipe everything on the device.
THIS GUIDE/TUTORIAL IS COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS7/WINDOWS8/MAC OS AND LINUX.
THIS ROOTING GUIDE IS OBSOLETE IN 2016!
IT HAS BEEN 3 YEARS SINCE THIS GUIDE WAS PUBLISHED.
WE DONT HAVE MOTO G ANYMORE AND HENCE WE CANNOT MAKE A NEW GUIDE FOR IT.
DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GUIDE. IF YOU DO THEN YOU MAY HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES WITH YOUR MOTO G.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
What You Need :
1. A Motorola Moto G (Make sure your device has atleast 70% battery left.)
2. USB Cable.
3. Superboot [Download it from here]- A tool provided by Paul-o-brien which roots the Moto G.
1. First, You need to unlock the bootloader on your Moto G. Unlocking the bootloader will Wipe and Delete everything on the device, so make sure you backup everything! The unlocking process is very easy using fastboot and can be done in less than 5 minutes from the official Motorola Website.[Link Here]
Remember : You need to do this inorder to root the device.
2. after you’re done unlocking the bootloader. download the superboot file (link here) and extract it.
3. On your moto g, go to settings>>application>>development>>enable usb debugging.
4. Enter your moto G into bootloader mode : ‘Power off’ the device, Then turn on the phone while pressing the ‘Volume down’ button this will open bootloader.
5. Connect your phone to your pc/mac via usb cable.
6. Choose on which OS you are on. If you’re on windows you don’t need to enter any commands just double click the file. if you are on Linux and Mac you need to enter the commands listed below :
- WINDOWS – double click ‘superboot-windows.bat’ –
- MAC – Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type ‘chmod +x superboot-mac.sh’ followed by ‘./superboot-mac.sh’ –
- LINUX – Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type ‘chmod +x superboot-linux.sh’ followed by ‘./superboot-linux.sh’
7. After you’re done, reboot the device and go to the app drawer, there you will find Super Su installed!
Congratulations! you’re device was successfully rooted! :)
If you successfully rooted your device with our rooting guide then please leave a comment below it will help other moto g users too! Happy Rooting!
Source : Modaco’s Superboot and Modaco’s Unlock bootloader
The following two tabs change content below.
Hassan is a die-hard Android fan, Passionate tech blogger and the Founder,editor-in-chief of TheAndroidCop.com. He loves everything related to technology, design, and Google. Most of the time, you will find Hassan either programming or listening to some groovy music.